What the Deacons Do
Did you ever wonder what Deacons do? Deacons’ work is a mission, and while Deacons primarily serve our congregation, we also attempt to minister to those beyond our congregational family who are sick, friendless or in distress. The ministry of the Deacons focuses on belonging and providing for the nurture and fellowship of the congregation.
The work of the Deacons is described in Scripture in Acts 6:1-7 and commissions acts of sympathy and service following the example of Jesus Christ. So we follow scriptural guidelines and minister to our congregation in these ways –
- Provide and prepare communion for all services
- Assist with memorial and funeral services and host receptions held on our campus
- Host a holiday event for those who have lost loved ones during the previous year
- Support the works of the belonging ministries of the church including Stephen Ministry, Prayer Guild, the Shawl Ministry and Fellowship Groups
- Provide CDs of sermons to the homebound and others upon request
- Supply flowers for monthly communion services
- Make “These Days” available and provide special interest pamphlets to those who are in need of support
- Provide for the Pastoral Benevolence Fund
- Serve communion at the 9:00 a.m. service
- Help transport members to church, doctors’ appointments, etc.
- Provide meals on request to help in times of crisis
- Visit those in hospitals or assisted-living facilities and those who are homebound
- Deliver “personal size” bouquets to homebound and larger bouquets to care centers
- Send sympathy and get-well cards
- Send birthday cards to members 80 years of age and older
- Sponsor quarterly fellowship events for the congregation including the Spring Tea
You Can Help!
There are 24 ordained Deacons who serve 3-year terms. The Deacons have an enormous job in caring for a church of over 650 members, so your help is needed to augment their work. You can help with the above services by volunteering to call on those who are homebound or in assisted-living facilities, by helping with memorial services (supplying food, helping with set-up, serving and clean-up) or by sending greeting cards to members. You may also donate to the Deacon's Fund which is totally separate from the budget and financial contributions for the rest of the church. There are Deacon’s Fund envelopes in your offering box and in the pews as well. For more information, please call the Church Office at 760-757-3560.