Local and World Mission Ministry Team
Mission Statement: “Helping and encouraging people
to do Christ’s work in our community and the world.”
Mission is an important aspect of First Presbyterian Church of Oceanside. It is a place where “Mission” is not just a word – it is an action. With the guidance of God, it is a way in which our congregation can seek and reach out locally and globally to those in need through financial support or through the giving of our time, energies and talents. Our eyes, ears and hearts continually remain open to see, hear and feel how it is God is leading us to discover ways that we can do His work through the Missions Committee.
Ministry Team Activities
- MS Walk: To donate, click here.
- Get on the Bus – offers free transportation for the children and their caregivers to the prison where the child can spend lunch and the day with their incarcerated mom. www.getonthebus.us/ First Pres is sponsoring two trips this year. Click here for more information.
- Angel Tree/Prison Fellowship Program – a ministry that reaches out to the children of inmates and their families with the love of Christ. www.angeltree.org/
- The Peacemaking Offering – every year we ask the congregation to donate to the Peacemaking Offering to help support a variety of peacemaking efforts, 25% of your donation would be retained by our church to distribute locally, 25% of your donation is used by synods and presbyteries and 50% goes to the General Assembly ministries.
- Interfaith Shelter – a collaborative network of religious, social service, and government entities arrayed to help homeless members of the San Diego family. www.interfaithshelter.org/. We are hosting the Shelter here at First Pres from Sunday, October 12 – Saturday, October 25. We need volunteers to be overnight hosts and cook meals. Click here to learn more and volunteer.
- Military Outreach – an organization that meets some of the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of military families in San Diego County. www.sandiegomom.org/
- Michaelle & Fraternity House – a residential home where men and women disabled by HIV/AIDS can receive comprehensive care and services in order to rebuild their health and regain their highest possible level of independence, or where they can spend their last days in comfort and dignity. http://www.fraternityhouse-inc.org/ Fundraiser information is located here.
- The Women’s Resource Center – dedicated to serving the needs of individuals and families threatened or victimized by domestic violence and sexual assault. www.wrcsd.org/
- Interfaith Coastal Service Center – emergency services agency helping persons in crisis situations providing assistance for food, transportation, clothing, medical appointments, case management and much more. www.interfaithservices.org/
- Spirit of Christmas Fair – held each year in late November or early December and offers us the opportunity to extend the love of God to our neighbors in need. Representatives from approximately 20 missions and organizations gather in the Great Hall to tell the congregation about their ministry and outreach programs.
- New Life Home is a home for children, raising and teaching them to be Christ-loving, responsible adults. The children, orphaned by HIV/Aids, are learning the importance of healthy relationships and relevant farming skills for their community. New Life Home also teaches adults in the community how to run sustainable farms and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Donation Site: http://www.theantiochpartners.org/partners/taylor-family/
Information Site: https://secure.qgiv.com/for/?key=TheAntiochPartners
- Mission Aviation Fellowship – a team of aviation and communication specialists conquering barriers in support of more than 300 Christian and humanitarian organizations around the world.www.maf.org/
- Reality Changers – provides inner-city youth from disadvantaged backgrounds with the resources to become first generation college students. www.realitychangers.org/
- North County Solutions for Change – mission is to end family homelessness in North San Diego County. www.solutionsforchange.org/
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship – establishes and advances at colleges and universities witnessing communities of students and faculty who follow Jesus as Savior and Lord. www.intervarsity.org/
New Team Members Wanted!
We are always looking for members of the congregation to join our team. We meet the first Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Conference Room. Please prayerfully consider giving of your time to this rewarding ministry. If you have any questions please contact any member of the team.
Gail Lynn, Chair
For more information, contact Gail at email@example.com.